Note: I've essentially abandoned this script, as I run Ubuntu instead
of Fedora. I place this script in the Public Domain. You may want to
research if it's legal to use "Fedora" as part of a script name.
Fedora Helper for FC6 is out.
Download the latest version of Fedora Helper for FC6:
$ wget http://brandonhutchinson.com/fedora-helper-fc6
$ chmod u+x fedora-helper-fc6
Download the latest version of Fedora Helper for FC5:
$ wget http://brandonhutchinson.com/fedora-helper-fc5
$ chmod u+x fedora-helper-fc5
Fedora Helper is a shell script that facilitates installation of "forbidden items"--software
that will not be included in the Fedora Core or Fedora Extras
repositories because it is proprietary or legally encumbered.
Helper uses zenity to provide a graphical-user interface, and is loosely based on Fedora frog. Unlike Fedora frog, Fedora Helper only uses the Livna
repository, and strictly forbids RPMforge and
Livna repository mixing.
Fedora Helper for FC5 has the following features:
Fedora Helper is under rapid development. Please contact me at bhutch@REMOVEgmail.com with any questions, problems, or suggestions for improvement.
- If zenity is not installed, Fedora Helper offers to install gnome-utils and its dependency, gnome-panel
- Installs support for the Livna
software repository when needed, unless RPMforge repositories are
installed (using both the Livna and RPMforge repositories may cause
- Installs MP3 support for all installed MP3 applications (i.e. amaroK, Beep Media Player, K3b, Rhythmbox, Xmms)
- Installs DVD support for all installed DVD applications (i.e. MPlayer, Totem, xine, VLC)
- Since the FC5-supplied version of Totem cannot play DVDs, totem-xine (Totem linked against xine-lib) is installed when selecting "DVD Support" if Totem is already installed
- Installs the latest Win32codecs ("all" package) from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/codecs.html
- Installs nVidia drivers
- Installs ATI drivers
- Installs Adobe Acrobat Reader and its Mozilla/Firefox plug-in
- Installs Macromedia Flash Player and its Mozilla/Firefox plug-in
- Installs Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and its Mozilla/Firefox
plug-in; automatically selects JRE to be the "default java" using /usr/sbin/alternatives --config java
- Installs Opera 9
- Installs LimeWire
- Installs RealPlayer 10
1. Initial release of Fedora Helper for FC6.
1. Added Opera 9
2. Minor bug fixes
1. Added Noatun and Kaboodle support.
2. Using yum "localinstall" feature to install compat-libstdc++-33 prerequisite for Acrobat Reader if needed.
Fixed a problem with "Win32codecs." Fedora Helper would return an error
message if the MPlayer FTP site contained multiple all-*.tar.bz2
Fixed two problems noted by Kevin Kofler on fedora-list:
1. requiresLivna() was not in the "if" block for "MP3 Support" and "DVD Support"
2. Changed "nVidia" to "ATI" in informational message in "ATI" section
Added yumCheck function to check if another program is currently using yum (e.g. Package Manager, Package Updater).
Back to brandonhutchinson.com.
Last modified: 2007/08/13