WinSCP public key authentication
The following steps detail how to use public key authentication with
WinSCP on an OpenSSH server.
1. Download and install WinSCP.
Choose the installation package
to include public key tools PuTTYgen
2. Run PuTTYgen
3. Click on the SSH2 RSA (or
SSH2 DSA; do not use SSH protocol 1 if possible) radio button under Type of key to generate:.
4. Click Generate.
5. Copy-and-paste the public key in Public
key for pasting into OpenSSH authorized_keys2 file: into the ~UNIX_ID/.ssh/authorized_keys file on the
6. Enter and confirm a Key passphrase:
and click Save private key.
7. Start WinSCP3. Under Session, enter the Host name, User name, and Private key file and click Login. You will be prompted for your
private key passphrase, unless you have already added your private key
to the Pageant ssh agent.
Last modified: 02/05/2004